Saturday, April 6, 2013

Ninkeys

I haven't been able to shake off this depression that's consumed me. So, yesterday after we made camp, May, Ian, and I decided to scout the area looking for something to pick the mood up- flowers, berries, nuts, etc. We didn't find anything like that, but something did find us that took a bit of the load off for a bit. A troop of Ninkeys!

They're smallish animals, covered in hair, and very playful and mischievous. They descended on us from the trees overhead, curious about what we were. One in particular took a liking to Ian, and decided to include him in their game of climbing and romping around. May and I settled back to watch, as the Ninkeys were not interested in the two of us. I suspect it's because Ian was so much similar to their size that they found him so intriguing.

And they were loud! Their vocalizations to one another were, at times, so piercing that it felt like my head would split in two! Ian didn't seem bothered by their sharp cries. In fact, he began joining the chorus! Whooping and hollering like a wild man. At first the Ninkeys seemed confused by his mimicry, but then I actually think they enjoyed him trying to be as much a part of their troop as possible.

I don't know how long we sat there. Eventually, the light began to dip low, and the Ninkeys began to drift off, finding someplace to spend the night. So, we returned to camp, too. The heaviness of my mental burden returned with me, much to my dismay. Hopefully I'll be able to leave it behind soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment